e-Waste / WEEE Auditing
Our practical knowledge of e-Waste / WEEE treatment and recycling facilities provides reliable information to manufacturers; businesses; producer compliance schemes and Standards bodies, including:
- Providing details and comprehensive auditing of e-Waste / WEEE treatment facilities and 2nd & 3rd downstream recycling outlets across the UK; EU and beyond verifying the routes of materials derived from WEEE (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment).
- Business to Business WEEE collection, take-back and recycling solutions and supplier audits – providing legitimate haulage and treatment routes, checking compliance of destination facilities, data protection, verification of destruction method, cost analysis and waste disposal and management of reporting and evidence requirements etc.
e-Waste / WEEE Standards
This information will be updated on a regular basis with details of the newest approved companies.
Following on from the UK PAS141 Re-use Specification a new EN Standard is now available – EN 50614 Click here to purchase a copy in English. We have over fifteen years’ experience in this arena and can assist you in preparations for certification, including the provision of manuals and essential documents and management procedures needed. We can also provide an internal audit service to check your own procedures and be present for your certification audit if required.
UK Audits to the requirements set down in the WEEE Regulations; Defra's "Best Available Treatment, Recovery and Recycling Techniques" document and Regulatory guidance.
- These audits assess and verify that UK treatment operators (approved authorised treatment facilities / AATFs) are working to the conditions set down in their site permit and to the legal requirements and guidance provided by the Government and Environmental Agencies - confirming that the obligations of Producers to ensure that their end-of-life equipment is recovered / recycled in an environmentally sound manner are met through the contracts held by their Producer Compliance Scheme.
WEEELABEX Audits for the collection, logistics and treatment of e-waste / WEEE across Europe. Successful audits will result in operators' processes being listed on a publicly accessible WEEELABEX website .
- The WEEELABEX Standards are normative (as opposed to descriptive) requirements and concern all steps in the chain, including collection and preparation for re-use.
- The WEEELABEX Standards cover all WEEE categories.
- The requirements related to collection, logistics and treatment activities are to be implemented by all the WEEELABEX member systems. They are designed to encourage the WEEELABEX member systems' partners to play their important role in the WEEE chain.
- The requirements laid down in the Standards are embedded in the legislative requirements of Directive 2002/96/EC and its transposing legislation. In August 2009, the WEEE Forum (authors of the WEEELABEX Standards) signed a contract of co-operation with CENELEC, one of the three official EU standards bodies. In time, the requirements of the WEEELABEX normative documents will be translated into formal CENELEC EN standards.
- A WEEELABEX Approved Treatment Operator will be recognised by EPEAT verifiers as compliant with the EPEAT Standards.
CENELEC (www.cenelec.eu) is the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization and is responsible for standardization in the electrotechnical engineering field. There are a number of EN Standards that relate to e-Waste / WEEE - some still in the development stages, which are voluntary but are seen increasingly to be the expected 'norm'.
In particular, as regards legislation, a law or regulation dealing with a product or a service can refer to standards that include the requested characteristics of the product or service in question, instead of specifying these characteristics itself. In addition to benefits in terms of simplification of legislation, such reference to standards allows the stakeholders to decide themselves - by consensus - on the requirements that will be applicable to the product or service they are interested in.
Standards available for the collection, logistics, treatment and re-use of waste electrical and electronic equipment are:
EN 50625-1 General WEEE Treatment
EN 50625-2-1 Treatment for Lamps
EN 50625-2-2 Treatment for CRT and FPD appliances
EN 50625-2-3 Technical Specification for Temperature Exchange Equipment (i.e. fridges/freezers and air-con units etc.)
EN 50625-3-1 General Depollution of WEEE
EN 50625-3-2 Technical Specification for the depollution of Lamps
EN 50625-3-3 Technical Specifications for the depollution of CRT and FPD appliances
EN 50625-3-4 Technical Specification for the depollution of Temperature Exchange Equipment
EN 50625-3-5 Technical Specification for the depollution of Photovoltaic Panels
EN 50625-4 Technical Specification for the collection and logistics associated with WEEE
EN 50614 – Requirements of the preparing for re-use of WEEE
Click here to purchase a copy in English.
Pilot audits and independent verification to BS EN 50574 and (draft) EN 50625 are available now – please contact us for details.
EPEAT, R2 and e-Stewards Standards - these are all global Standards. Really Green Credentials can provide verifiers and treatment recyclers with confidential downstream 2nd and 3rd tier independent audit reports to satisfy the extensive monitoring and end-of-life requirements.
For further information please click on the following to go to the relevant Standards's own website: